Sunday 27 April 2008

This is....

...my favorite book


It was impossible to choose just one fiction piece, so I went with this non-fiction beauty. My mother passed it down to me. Im thinking its probably vintage 50's but not 100% sure. I love the pics and the accompanying "advice"....


"Beauty Outdoors - Through Woman's World you will learn how to extract every ounce of enjoyment from your days outdoors and still remain safely your glamorous self "


"Etiquette - It's so easy to get a bad reputation. We may not deliberately do the wrong thing but sometimes circumstances catch up with us and before we know it we are labelled with....She should know better"


"Home Decorating - Home decoration today is a very vital and practical science. An understanding of it is a must, so do rever to this section when the need arises!"

And finally my personal favorite...

"Domestic Bliss - Being a successful wife and mother is a most desireable achievement but it is also a full time profession for which, unfortunately there is little, if any, formal training....Consistently bad or unispired cooking, a neglected appearance, a disorganized and chaotic home, an unbalanced budget, a constant feeling of pressure caused by the absence of a proper household routine, and generally an inability to cope with the many demands life places on a woman, make it an impossibility to achieve domestic bliss...There is no magic formula for domestic bliss, but Woman's World will take you a long way along the road to enjoying fully this pearl of great price."

Thanks Dee for a great theme this week. Check out Angela's blog to see everyone elses favorit book.
Happy Week - Everyone

15 comments:

CurlyPops said...

OMG that book is hilarious!
I need one of those so I can become a domestic goddess....
I love the bikinis!

Jenny said...

LOL!What an awesome book.

LBA said...

Perfect Advice - great book !

I would have been a crap catch back then .. but oh, how i'd love to aspire ( without the effort ;)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

What a great book! I just realise how far off domestic bliss I am though!

Nicola said...

Brilliant love the pictures and the advice. I bet somewhere in there is a section on how to welcome your hubby home from work. Priceless!

Cass said...

I love the quotes from this books, absolute gems

flossy-p said...

HAHAHAHAHA, I love that someone owns one of these books. I'm so envious! You're so lucky, I wish I had a book that told me how to "safely" remain my glamorous self.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

What a fabulous book to own! I love revisiting the advice of our elders. Always good for a laugh.

Victoria said...

Well, their version of "domestic bliss" is pretty unobtainable these days!

Jodie said...

This book is priceless!!! My Mum handed down a classic old book of etiquette to me for a laugh about 5 years ago, I just love it....

Jodie :)

Annie said...

I love your labels and also the little drawers you made on your sewing desk. Don't you just love fiddling with that sort of "stuff"

Kirsty said...

Domestic Bliss = fabulous! I am clearly a Domestic DISASTER.

Bird Bath said...

Wowza! That is very special. some real pearls of widom in there ;)

Maureen Reynolds said...

What flossy-p said. (Great minds think alike!) Fortunately, I have maintained my glamorous self. but what does safely have to do with it, unless it means w/o going under the knife!

Oh the rules and guidelines we had back when.

M said...

Oh, now they are the books I used to love as a child - a glimpse into adult life, or so I thought.

Funnily I've never stood in a wholesome dress on a boat with a handsome rich-looking man while draped in streamers.